Monday 15 December 2014

Draft Evaluation Question 2 -

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?



By looking at the work i have produced,it is clear to see that there is a combination between my main product and my ancillary texts. The combination between my main product and my ancillary texts are extremely effective, due to the fact that a clear theme  has been used throughout, allowing each product to link together. Whilst designing each product I have used a number of techniques which allows each product to represent my chosen genre of music, the style and personality of the band and the overall meaning of my chosen song. 

My digipak, music video and advertising poster all feature the black and white colour scheme. During my research and planning, i discovered that this particular colour scheme is heavily associated with indie/alternative music and therefore, i immediately wanted to use it on my products to portray to the audience the genre of music each product is from, to highlight the alternative style of my products and to make them appear as professional as possible. Using the black and white colour scheme on all three of my products is extremely effective as a form of branding is created. By using the repetition of colours and presenting products in a specific way, the audience will become familiar with the 'brand' making the products and the band instantly recogniseable.

Another combination between my main product and ancillary texts can also be seen in my work. When i began designing my digipak, i opted to use a variety of urban images to portray the background of the band and to allow the audience to connote the meaning of the chosen song. After much analysis, i then decided to use the front cover of my digipak as the main image on my advertising poster, not just to give the audience a clear image of the album cover, but to to portray the same meanings associated with the digipak. I continued to use the theme of urban imagery whilst filming my music video. The filming took place in a band practice building, which is situated in Leicester city centre. Throughout my music video, the band are pictured walking through the streets and playing in urban settings. By filming my video in this particular setting, i was able to reinstate the previous points about portraying the bands background and the meaning of the song, as well as portray the style and genre of indie rock music; as some of the best indie rock bands have originated from the city environment. Here, the combination between my main product and ancillary texts has been extremely effective, as the use of urban imagery allows the audience to discover a number of different qualities about some of the most vital information, such as the bands background, character, the style and genre of music and the meaning of the song.

Another effective combination between my main product and ancillary texts is the simplistic way in which the products are presented. When i began my research and planning at the start of the course, i discovered that a vast amount of indie rock products are presented in a simplistic way, so that the audience can focus mainly on the music, rather than the unnecessary aesthetics which might feature in e.g. pop music products. I decided to present my products in a similar way to this. My digipak features a number of simplistic images of urban scenery and band members as well as panels which feature text, written in a simplistic, bold font which is also presented in a simplistic format. Whilst designing my poster, i emulated the techniques used on my digipak and used a simplistic layout, as well as the same simplistic font. I opted to use these techniques to give the audience a clear insight into the information which features on the page. Whilst editing my music video, i decided to present my product in a simplistic way, to link all three of my products together. By portraying the band partaking in realistic activities such as playing their song in their band practice room and the friendship of the group, i have given the audience a simplistic music video which shows the band for what they really are, and indie rock band, a group of very close friends, who do not need to use materialistic items in their musical products. By using the theme of simplicity to combine my main product with my ancillary texts, i have attempted to emulate a similar philosophy to professional indie rock musicians and designers of indie rock band products.


No comments:

Post a Comment